About Stephen L. Byron
Mr. Byron has extensive experience in municipal law. He holds unparalleled insight on the wide range of problems unique to government entities, such as compliance with open-meeting and public record requirements, analyzing risks of liability for governmental action, and the drafting and administration of defensible zoning laws. Mr. Byron has served as legal counsel to a dozen charter review commissions and served as the chairman of three charter review commissions for the City of Willoughby.
Mr. Byron serves as law director for the City of Pepper Pike, the Village of Waite Hill, the Village of Hunting Valley, and Orange Village and has served each of those communities for at least ten years. Mr. Byron was recently appointed law director of the Village of Kirtland Hills. Further, Mr. Byron has served as the law director for the Village of Chagrin Falls and as the solicitor of the Village of Lakeline and the Village of North Perry.
In addition to those roles, Mr. Byron acts as special counsel to a variety of governmental and non-governmental entities. For example, he has acted as special counsel for the City of Wooster, the City of Willoughby, the City of Shaker Heights, the South Euclid-Lyndhurst School District, the Brooklyn School District, the Willoughby-Eastlake School District, the Ohio Municipal League, the Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, and the International Municipal Attorneys Association.
Recognized for his expertise, Mr. Byron has often lectured to the Northeast Ohio Law Directors Association, the Cuyahoga County Metropolitan Bar Association, the Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, and the Ohio Municipal League.
Mr. Byron also advises private parties who are the subject of adverse governmental action, either in the real estate development process or in other building and zoning related matters.
Past Employment Positions:
- Walter Haverfield LLP, Partner
- Schottenstein, Zox & Dunn Co. L.P.A., Partner
- Byron & Byron Co. L.P.A., Principal
- Eleventh District Court of Appeals, Staff Attorney
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Northeast Ohio Law Directors Association, 1993-Present, Past President, 2004-2005
- Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, 1993-Present
- Lake County Bar Association, Grievance Committee Member, 1993-2012
- Lake County Blue Coats, Board of Trustees, Legal Counsel to the Board, 2007-Present
- Lake County Law Library Association, Board of Trustees, 2001-2012
- Lake County Law Library Resources Board, Vice President, 2012-Present
- Willoughby Rotary Club, 1993-Present, Past President, 1999-2000, Board of Directors, 1995-2001
- Willoughby Charter Review Commission, Chairman, 2000, 2006 and 2012
- Rated AV Preeminent in Martindale-Hubbell
- Ohio Super Lawyers, 2023
- Best Lawyers in America, 2024