About Gary S. Desberg
Mr. Desberg has extensive experience in commercial real estate transactions through his representation of several national and regional chain store tenants, as well as his work for lenders, owners, and managers of office, retail, and multi-family residential properties. Mr. Desberg’s experience includes negotiating and documenting joint venture agreements, limited liability company and limited partnership agreements, private equity and mortgage loan transactions, single property and portfolio acquisitions and divestitures, space and ground leases, management agreements, and easement agreements. Mr. Desberg also has significant experience in documenting commercial loan transactions and in general business law.
Mr. Desberg is a member of the Cleveland (member, Corporation, Banking and Business Law Section and Real Estate Law Section), Ohio State, Florida State and American (member, Business Law Section and Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section) Bar Associations. He served as Co-Chair of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association’s Real Estate Law Institute in 1996 and 1997, and he is a frequent speaker at legal seminars. Mr. Desberg was the recipient of the 2022 Rosewater Award for his long-term commitment and service to the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and its Real Estate Section. Recipients of the Rosewater Award are recognized leaders and experts in his/her field, have extraordinary accomplishments and are involved in community service related to real estate interests as well as general community service. Mr. Desberg also is a member of the International Council of Shopping Centers.
Mr. Desberg has been named an “Ohio Super Lawyer” every year since 2006. Mr. Desberg has been named in The Best Lawyers in America every year since 2007, and was named Best Lawyers’ 2015 Cleveland Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year”. In addition, Mr. Desberg has been listed in Chambers USA Leading Lawyers, in the area of real estate every year since 2011.
Mr. Desberg received his undergraduate degree in 1982 from the University of Michigan and earned his J.D., cum laude, in 1985 from Case Western Reserve University School of Law.
Past Employment Positions:
- Squire, Sanders & Dempsey LLP, Partner
- Berick, Pearlman & Mills Co., L.P.A., Partner, 1996 – 1999
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Sections on Corporation, Banking and Business Law, Real Estate Law Institute, 1996 - 1997, Co-Chair, Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Sections on Business Law, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, Member
- American Bar Association, Sections on Business Law, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, Member
- Florida State Bar Association, Sections on Business Law, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, Member
- International Council of Shopping Center, Member
- Ohio Super Lawyers, 2006-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2007 - 2023
- Chambers USA Leading Lawyers, 2006- 2023
- AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell